The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) is undergoing a series of transformation both through Technology, people and processes in support of KRA’s vision which is “To facilitate Kenya’s transformation through innovative, Professional and Customer – Focused Tax Administration”.
The focus of the Authority in its three year seventh strategic plan period (2018/19 – 2020/21), will be on key priorities of the country’s development agenda as spelt out in the Kenya Vision 2030, the Third Medium Term Plan (MTP 2018-2022), the Budget Policy Statement 2018 and the Big Four Agenda. The plan also takes into account the country’s commitments under the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) especially relating to revenue mobilization and a customer centred public organisation.
Based on KRA’s role in meeting national policy objectives and its internal goals, four strategic thrusts that guide the 7th Plan have been determined to drive the authorities focus as follows:
Enhanced Revenue through Tax Compliance,
Improved business climate and competitiveness,
Enhanced operational efficiency,
Building Public Trust through the integrity, professionalism and service orientation of staff.
The Annual Tax Summit seeks to feed into these goals by driving public and international participation in discussions geared towards providing solutions for enhancing and supporting KRA’s role in Tax and Customs Administration.
This year’s Summit discussions shall be inclined to the key drivers in tax simplification, tax, and foreign policy; service delivery excellence in tax and customs administration;
favourable tax regulatory environment; ease of doing business; domestic revenue mobilization; dispute resolution; cross border trade and role of export promotion in revenue mobilization. It is in this regard, the Theme of the 5th Annual Tax Summit 2019 is: “Tax Simplification and Inclusivity To Facilitate Trade And Economic Transformation.”
The specific objectives of the summit will include the following:
- Develop new areas of partnerships in driving revenue collection agenda
- Shaping tax and foreign policy in taxation
- Develop innovative insights to deal with revenue bottle necks e.g. illicit trade
- Generation of new knowledge and insights on tax and customs administration
- Strategic input in fostering a facilitative tax environment for economic growth
- Monitoring and evaluating results of the tax summit since inception
- Expected Outcomes
- New strategic partnerships
- Policy proposals on measures to be applied to support growth
- Suggestions on how to tackle issues on the threat of domestic revenue mobilisation efforts
- Structured framework of implementation of the actionable insights
- Innovative solutions to improve efficiency and effectiveness in Revenue administration.
- The 5th Annual Tax Summit’s Focus
The Summit discussions will focus on the following thematic areas:-
- Shaping Tax and foreign policy towards in revenue mobilisation
- Tax Regulatory: Towards a favourable tax regulatory environment for the Micro and small traders
- Achieving service delivery excellence in tax and customs administration
- Enhancing the ease of doing business: Towards the 50 mark in cross border trade and ease of paying taxes
- Domestic revenue mobilization – enabling a unified system of revenue collection
- Revenue growth: Enabling revenue growth through faster Tax dispute resolution